Terms and Conditions
Required Acknowledgment for Minnesota Court Records Online ("MCRO")
Users must read and accept the following Terms and Conditions before using the MCRO application to access Minnesota district court records:
1. UNOFFICIAL COURT CASE RECORDS. The information available on Minnesota Court Records Online (MCRO) is provided as a service and is not the official court case record. The Minnesota Judicial Branch does not certify MCRO records or search results, and is not responsible for any errors or omissions in the data found on MCRO. Certified copies of court documents and civil judgment search results may be obtained from local court administration.
2. LIMITED CASE RECORD INFORMATION AVAILABLE. Case records are displayed for all Minnesota district (trial) courts. The information available on MCRO is limited to case search results, case information, and documents for publicly accessible district court case records that may also be available online, as defined by Rule 8, subd. 2 of the Minnesota Rules of Public Access to Records of the Judicial Branch.
Remote Access Restrictions: For privacy reasons, Rule 8, subd. 2 of the Minnesota Rules of Public Access to Records of the Judicial Branch limits the information available on MCRO. Public case records and documents available at the public access terminals ("MPA Courthouse") in Minnesota courthouses and at the State Law Library are not all accessible through MCRO or available on the internet. For example, the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) prevents Domestic Abuse (“OFP”) and Harassment Restraining Order (“HRO”) case types from displaying on the internet, although the public cases are available through MPA Courthouse. Child protection (“CHIPS”) and juvenile delinquency felony 16 case types (“D16”) are also available through MPA Courthouse, but not available on the internet.
You WILL NOT be notified when public data is unavailable for any of these reasons as you are conducting searches in MCRO.
3. UNDERSTANDING AND USING MCRO CASE INFORMATION. You are responsible for understanding the meaning of the case record information and documents that you view through MCRO, and for the appropriate and lawful use of such information. If you have any questions regarding the meaning of the case information on MCRO, contact local court administration at the corresponding district court. You are also responsible for determining whether any case record information obtained from MCRO during previous searches is still accurate, current, and complete.
4. ERRORS. If you see errors with the case information or documents in MCRO, please notify local court administration at the corresponding district court.
5. MCRO SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR BACKGROUND CHECKS. Background checks should be conducted through the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension’s (BCA) Minnesota Public Criminal History Search (CHS) system, which you can access online at https://chs.state.mn.us/; at their office located at 1430 Maryland Avenue East in St. Paul; or by calling (651) 793-2400 for information. The BCA’s CHS system links prior criminal history through fingerprints to verify the identification of the individual. MCRO cannot provide this level of verification.
6. MCRO INSTRUCTION MATERIALS. Read the training materials and other instruction guides for more information before using MCRO. The information is linked in the “More Information” section on the MCRO homepage.
8. YOU MAY NOT DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
a. Violate any copyright and other proprietary or intellectual property rights in connection with this application;
b. Engage in any data mining or use “bots” or similar data gathering and extraction tools or methods in connection with this application;
c. Decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, lease, sell, distribute, or reproduce this application;
d. Transmit, post, or otherwise make available: (i) content that is unlawful, false, inaccurate, harmful, obscene, or otherwise objectionable, including but not limited to, any content that infringes on any intellectual property or proprietary rights; (ii) viruses, Trojan horses, or other harmful programs or material; or (iii) advertising or promotional materials, “spam,” or any other form of solicitation;
e. Misrepresent your affiliation with or impersonate any person or entity;
f. Interfere with or disrupt this application or attempt to circumvent this application and website’s security features;
g. Remove or modify any copyright notices, other proprietary notices, or references contained in this application;
h. Misrepresent the content from this application or misinform others about the origin or ownership of this application;
i. Use the application in any manner which could damage, disable, overburden, or impair MCRO, or interfere with any other party’s use of the application; and
j. Use the application for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms and Conditions and all applicable laws, court rules, regulations, court orders and policies.
9. UPDATES. The Minnesota Judicial Branch may update these Terms and Conditions at any time. You are responsible for regularly reviewing and reading the Terms and Conditions for any updates.
10. ACCESSIBILITY. The Minnesota Judicial Branch is committed to providing all people with equal access to the courts, and makes reasonable efforts to comply with accessibility standards and provide information in an accessible format. If you are having accessibility issues with this app, please report the issue at www.mncourts.gov/accessibility.aspx.
11. CONTACT INFORMATION. Visit the Minnesota Judicial Branch website contact page to provide feedback or ask questions about the MCRO policies. (Note: clicking this hyperlink will redirect you to a new website.)
Do not use MCRO if you do not agree with or understand all of the above Terms and Conditions.